Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pyrex Paradise

Hello Pyrex friends! Just wanted to say hi and thanks so much to Erin for the nice welcome. Sorry I've been MIA for a few days, I'm actually on vacation in Hawai'i! I finally got Internet access at the cottage I'm staying at near Volcanoes National Park and just wanted to say hi and that I'm really excited to be a contributor to the group.

A little intro - I've been collecting Pyrex since 1998, the year My husband and I bought a house that was built in 1949 and the kitchen still has its original butter yellow & turquoise tiles.  We happened to be looking for a salt mill to use in the kitchen, so I thought: why not get a small Pyrex refrigerator box? I had seen them at local antique stores for a pretty penny, but I decided to try eBay. I remember how excited I was to get my very first piece of Pyrex in the mail - it was a daisy yellow #501 and it was perfect!

Like most of you, I started with a rule sticking to a certain theme - in my case, yellow and turquoise to go with my kitchen. I got a #401 yellow bowl, a Butterprint #502... after a few years, I had a small collection. In 2005 when I joined Flickr, I started the Pyrex Love Flickr group. With my husband's help (he is a web developer and I am a designer), we started PyrexLove.com. As he helped me build the site, he became really interested in vintage Pyrex as well - it turned out he is just as much of a collector as I am! We started going to the flea market almost every Sunday and our collection grew (and grew and grew). As more fans joined the Flickr group, we added more to the pattern reference and more pieces to our wishlist! It's been amazing to share the obsession and to see everybody's collections! Seeing others' photos definitely fueled our love for vintage Pyrex - not just for display but also use in the kitchen. We use our Pyrex pieces all the time.

I may not be able to post again in a week or two, but just wanted to say how happy I am to be a contributor to the Pyrex Collective. Here in Hawai'i, we've passed by a few thrift stores so far - we haven't had time to stop but definitely will next week. Wouldn't it be fabulous to find Pyrex here in paradise? Wish me luck! :)

Thanks again Erin and Jeni for starting the group - so happy to share my Pyrexia with you all!

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to our blog! I'm glad you're a member.

    I always enjoy reading about how a collection started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We collectors are all alike! Welcome.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Daisy yellow is my *favorite* Pyrex yellow! Welcome! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who considers vintage Pyrex a fine souvenir ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are a member of The Pyrex Collective! Enjoy Hawaii but be sure to search those thrifts for a vintage Pyrex fix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to have you here. I can't wait to read your posts.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! *The* Pyrex Collector is among us! I'm so glad you're blogging here! Thanks too for sharing your beginnings. Your website has been so helpful to me!

    As for your Hawaiian thrifting...PomaikaŹ»i!

    ReplyDelete